The Rotary Navigation Walk will be held on Sunday 2nd April 2017
A splendid flat walk almost exclusively on tow-paths of the Hebble, Calder, Huddersfield Narrow and Broad canals. The walk will take in the canals from Marsden to Cooper Bridge which was much appreciated by those who walked that section in previous years.
Who is it for?
The walk is for everyone who wishes to join us in raising funds for the four Hospices which provide excellent service to the public of Calderdale, Kirklees and Wakefield namely, Overgate Hospice, Kirkwood Hospice, Wakefield Hospice and the Forget Me Not Children's Hospice. Each Hospice will receive an equal share of whatever money is raised by the event.
The Start and Finish points will be:
- Bethel Street Car Park, Brighouse
- The Navigation Tavern, Mirfield
- The Navigation Inn, Horbury
- Marsden Railway Station (to be confirmed)
- Aspley Marina, Huddersfield (to be confirmed)
- Barge and Barrel, Elland
- The Wharf, Sowerby Bridge
Walkers are asked when registering to indicate which locations they would like to start from and finish at so that we can make suitable arrangements for parking, transport, awarding of certificates and safety. Walkers should also note the excellent rail links between Mirfield, Huddersfield and Marsden.
To assist walkers we provide a brief description of each section between the different Start/Finish points – the details are provided on the registration forms. Briefly:
- The section from Brighouse to Mirfield is the most difficult section but is suitable for able bodied walkers.
- Mirfield to Horbury has 1/2 mile difficult section for pushchairs but is otherwise suitable for all walkers.
- The walk from Marsden to Aspley is all by tow path with the exception of a short section at the crossing of the A616 in Huddersfield. Marshals will direct walkers at this point
A Health and Safety Advice sheet is provided to each walker and is available under the 'Information' menu above.
Free transport for pre-registered walkers is provided to their chosen start point from any of the Start and Finish Points. All walkers are to be at their desired start point prior to 9-30am and we try to ensure those walking the longer distances are at their start points for 8.30am (brisk walking time approx 8 hours). Only those walkers who register before Sunday 19th March are guaranteed free transport. A bus time table will be produced once we have a clear picture of need and places will then be allocated to specific buses.
- Registration Fee for adults is £7 and for under 16's is £1.
- Children under the age of 14 years must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Full terms and conditions can be read under the drop down menu above titled 'Information for Walkers' .
Sponsorship and Gift Aid
The 2015 and 2014 walks' magnificent total donations could not have been achieved without our walkers being sponsored, and about 75% also managed to get their sponsors to sign up to Gift Aid which can make a difference of over £2000. Sponsorship forms will be sent to everyone who registers for the walk either electronically or by post. Please try and get as much sponsorship as you can and encourage all eligible sponsors to sign up for Gift Aid. Also remember that without the completed sponsor form or an electronic copy of it – we will not be able to claim Gift Aid – so please send it to us after you have collected the money.
Select the 'Forms' menu above to download blank Gift Aid forms.
Other Sponsorship Opportunities
Sponsors for the Rotary Navigation 2017 are very welcome. Clearly sponsorship and support can take many forms and we have been grateful in previous years for cash to cover some of our expenses, free transport, bottled water, fruit, tee shirts, publicity, reduced cost of printing and Easter Eggs all of which contributed to reducing the costs and increasing the enjoyment factor of raising money for four wonderful hospices. In return for such support we will seek to promote a Sponsor's involvement in the local press, with our walkers and through this website. Advertisements can be placed on our website for £25 and we welcome support in the form of transport, food and drink, or goods which can be given to walkers on the day.
Who are the organisers?